I meant to post pictures of the backyard a long time ago! Here is the finished product after Brian stained the tiki bar and hung our hammock!
Our next project is getting hurricane impact windows and doors. The garage door came first and Brian has been working hard re-building the trim around the door and pouring concrete to level the floor of the garage. Thanks to Aaron and Ron for helping!
Here is the BEFORE: and the AFTER:
Our contractor starts putting in the impact windows today and then we plan on having our stucco repaired (it is cracked and buckling in some spots), re-painting the exterior, and adding some decorative shutters and flower boxes to the windows. Summer project: curb appeal!!
We have been working hard in the attic! I finished staining the new wood paneling on the ceiling to match the old wood.
Here is the light-colored new wood paneling, before I stained it to match the older wood
Here it is after I stained it
The new wood looks pretty similar to the old wood 🙂
Then, I white-washed everything! It took about a week plus a weekend. While I did that, Brian was finishing trim and molding on the closets and bookshelves.
After the white-washing
After the white-washing
After the white-washing
After Thanksgiving we will finish up the trim work and caulking, clean up and organize, and then we can install our new carpet. We bought carpet squares so we can install them ourselves and they are half the price of regular carpet! I also ordered a new daybed with trundle bed for guests (I hope it will fit up the spiral staircase!!):
Update: Here are some AFTER pics:
Sorry for the delayed post! The hurricane came and went and we have slowly been working on the attic. We need to have it finished in time for my family to come visit in late December (we will need a guest space up there). Brian has been working on the storage closets and he built some built-in bookshelves with additional storage space behind them (hooray!). He also finished hanging the paneling on the ceiling. Here are some pictures of the progress (please ignore the hot mess in the background…we are waiting to organize until after the saw dust is cleaned up and the painting is finished):
Our next steps will be to finish the trim work and caulking over the gaps and such, and to stain the new paneling to try to match the darker wood that was already in place, and then I want to white-wash all of it. Then, we want to get carpet installed.
On Saturday we finished staining the paneling!
The main floor is 95% finished!! Yay! We have a tiny bit of painting left and some molding to finish, but other than that we are finished with the kitchen, bathroom, living room, and 2 bedrooms. Here are some pics of the bathroom, painted with glass slipper by Benjamin Moore:
I’ll take better ‘After’ pics with our good camera and post pictures of all the rooms next week 🙂
Brian is spending the mornings working on the 3rd floor space and is making good progress!
Brian has mostly been working in the attic and has built the 2nd storage closet and installed insulation in both closets. We also started moving all of our junk into there 🙂 I’ll wait and upload pictures after he hangs the bead-board on the studs…
The main updates this week are from the kitchen and bathroom which we are trying to finish before our dinner party this weekend. Unfortunately, we noticed that our bathroom was leaking again into the downstairs living room so we had to take down the drywall and bead-board AND we cut a 1×2 section out of the downstairs ceiling to figure it out. It was a pretty minor issue (the tub faucet needed to be tightened)…but putting all of the parts back together took a while. Anyhow, Brian finished the trim/ crown molding (the trim now touches the ceiling above cabinets!) in the kitchen and I painted the window and door frame white, as well as the corner cabinet facing the living room. They look way better!
Brian is mudding the drywall in the bathroom now and we will be painting the walls with Benjamin Moore’s Glass Slipper later this week. Can’t wait to see it finished!
John headed back home this past week, but before he left he helped us with few more to-do’s. Brian and John put the bead board on the eastern wall (ignore the mess, we haven’t really unpacked or organized the kitchen yet!):
They also built a cabinet door for the back of the peninsula so we can use that ‘dead space’ for storage, and they made two panels to go next to it for decoration:
Plus, they finished the trim in the bathroom so all we need to do in there is mud the drywall, sand, paint, and hang the mirror:
We are having a farmhouse table built for the kitchen and should have pictures next week!
The (upstairs) toilet was installed Friday evening!! Hooray! I spent most of Saturday teaching my new MBA students while Brian and John worked on the bathroom all day and then grouted the kitchen back-splash until 2AM. Everything is coming together so nicely!
We still need to finish the door transition for the sliding glass door, install the corner shelf cabinet above the peninsula, install bead board in the kitchen, tape and mud the drywall in bathroom, and paint, and well, a lot of other small stuff, but the BIG stuff in the kitchen and bath is DONE! YES!!!!